Re: Server crashed, now cannot start postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server crashed, now cannot start postgres
Date: 2016-09-12 23:57:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com> writes:
> Tried to compile 3 large programs at one time and the CPU overheated,
> shutting down the server. Now when I try to start postgres-9.5.4 (as the
> superuser, postgres) I get this result:

> postgres(at)salmo:~$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.5/data/ &
> [1] 14544
> postgres(at)salmo:~$ FATAL: could not open shared memory segment
> "/PostgreSQL.1804289383": Permission denied

A look at the code suggests this is shm_open() returning EACCES.
Not sure why that's happening. If this is a Linux box, maybe the
permissions on /dev/shm are bollixed?

As a temporary workaround, you could probably set
dynamic_shared_memory_type = none in postgresql.conf (I'm assuming
it's set to posix now). I do not think that disables any very
critical functionality in 9.5, but it's a hack not a solution.