Re: Connecting PHP-based Application to Postgres-9.0.3

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting PHP-based Application to Postgres-9.0.3
Date: 2011-04-07 22:51:27
Lists: pgsql-php

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> That is a bit odd. Yes, please do post the relevant bits of the .conf -
> clearer heads than mine may spot something.

Ray,

# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'syslog' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog, and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = on # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog
# into log files. Required to be on for
# csvlogs.
# (change requires restart)

# These are only used if logging_collector is on:
#log_directory = 'pg_log' # directory where log files are written,
# can be absolute or relative to PGDATA
#log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log' # log file name pattern,
# can include strftime() escapes
#log_truncate_on_rotation = off # If on, an existing log file of the
# same name as the new log file will be
# truncated rather than appended to.
# But such truncation only occurs on
# time-driven rotation, not on restarts
# or size-driven rotation. Default is
# off, meaning append to existing files
# in all cases.
log_rotation_age = 1d # Automatic rotation of logfiles will
# happen after that time. 0 disables.
log_rotation_size = 10MB # Automatic rotation of logfiles will
# happen after that much log output.
# 0 disables.

# These are relevant when logging to syslog:
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'

silent_mode = off # Run server silently.
# DO NOT USE without syslog or
# logging_collector
# (change requires restart)

# - When to Log -

#client_min_messages = notice # values in order of decreasing detail:
client_min_messages = debug5 # debug5
# debug4
# debug3
# debug2
# debug1
# log
# notice
# warning
# error

#log_min_messages = warning # values in order of decreasing detail:
log_min_messages = debug5 # debug5
# debug4
# debug3
# debug2
# debug1
# info
# notice
# warning
# error
# log
# fatal
# panic

#log_min_error_statement = error # values in order of decreasing detail:
log_min_error_statement = debug5 # debug5
# debug4
# debug3
# debug2
# debug1
# info
# notice
# warning
# error
# log
# fatal
# panic (effectively off)

#log_min_duration_statement = -1 # -1 is disabled, 0 logs all statements
# and their durations, > 0 logs only
# statements running at least this number
# of milliseconds

# - What to Log -

#debug_print_parse = off
#debug_print_rewritten = off
#debug_print_plan = off
#debug_pretty_print = on
#log_checkpoints = off
log_connections = on
log_disconnections = on
#log_duration = off
log_error_verbosity = verbose # terse, default, or verbose messages
#log_hostname = off
#log_line_prefix = '' # special values:
# %a = application name
# %u = user name
# %d = database name
# %r = remote host and port
# %h = remote host
# %p = process ID
# %t = timestamp without milliseconds
# %m = timestamp with milliseconds
# %i = command tag
# %e = SQL state
# %c = session ID
# %l = session line number
# %s = session start timestamp
# %v = virtual transaction ID
# %x = transaction ID (0 if none)
# %q = stop here in non-session
# processes
# %% = '%'
# e.g. '<%u%%%d> '
#log_lock_waits = off # log lock waits >= deadlock_timeout
#log_statement = 'none' # none, ddl, mod, all
#log_temp_files = -1 # log temporary files equal or larger
# than the specified size in kilobytes;
# -1 disables, 0 logs all temp files
#log_timezone = unknown # actually, defaults to TZ environment
# setting

> What platform are you on (maybe you said already, and I missed it)? How did
> you install PostgreSQL?

Slackware-13.1/32-bit (soon to be upgraded to -13.37/64-bit). The
SlackBuild script did not want to work for me so I built with the usual
./configure; make; make install.

> I think you've already got all the diagnostics you're going to get from
> the PHP side of things... there are PHP functions to get the most recent
> error from the Postgres connection, but it sounds as though the connection
> isn't getting made in the first place (which of course negates my upthread
> guess about bytea... doh).

I think that's the problem. When I configured php I specified pgsql and
removed mysql, yet I don't see this database listed in the phpinfo output
nor do I have the libraries when I try to 'find' them. This may be the key.
I can send the php configure options, too.

Rich