Re: Limit I/O bandwidth of a certain backend

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Vlad Arkhipov <arhipov(at)dc(dot)baikal(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limit I/O bandwidth of a certain backend
Date: 2009-05-06 05:10:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Vlad Arkhipov wrote:

> Is there a way to limit I/O bandwidth/CPU usage of a certain backend? It
> seems that ionice/renice makes no sense because of bgwriter/WAL writer
> processes are not a part of a backend.

The background writer and WAL writer are pretty low users of CPU and I/O
relative to how much an expensive query uses in most cases. You should
try out one of the nice approaches and see if it works for you rather than
presuming the background processes will thwart you here. There isn't
anything better available in the database yet, so it's the closest things
to a good solution available right now anyway.