Limit I/O bandwidth of a certain backend

From: Vlad Arkhipov <arhipov(at)dc(dot)baikal(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Limit I/O bandwidth of a certain backend
Date: 2009-05-05 07:31:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

Is there a way to limit I/O bandwidth/CPU usage of a certain backend? It
seems that ionice/renice makes no sense because of bgwriter/WAL writer
processes are not a part of a backend. I have a periodic query (every
hour) that make huge I/O load and should run in background. When this
query runs all other fast queries slow down dramatically.