Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench
Date: 2021-03-13 21:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Tatsuo-san,

>> So I think adding "freeze" to the copy statement should only happen in
>> PostgreSQL 14 or later. Probably the test should be
>> "PQserverVersion() >= 140000" I think. Attached is the patch doing
>> what you suggest.
>
> I have created a CommitFest entry for this.

My 0.02 €

After giving it some thought, ISTM that there could also be a performance
improvement with copy freeze from older version, so I'd suggest to add it
after 9.3 where the option was added, i.e. 90300.

Also, I do not think it is worth to fail on a 0 pqserverversion, just keep
the number and consider it a very old version?

Question: should there be a word about copy using the freeze option? I'd
say yes, in the section describing "g".

--
Fabien.