Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench
Date: 2021-03-14 00:22:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I have created a CommitFest entry for this.
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/33/3034/
>
> My 0.02 €
>
> After giving it some thought, ISTM that there could also be a
> performance improvement with copy freeze from older version, so I'd
> suggest to add it after 9.3 where the option was added, i.e. 90300.

You misunderstand about COPY FREEZE. Pre-13 COPY FREEZE does not
contribute a performance improvement. See discussions for more details.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU%3D1w3osJJ2FneELhhNRLxfZitDgp9FPHee08NT2FQFmz_pQ@mail.gmail.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABOikdN-ptGv0mZntrK2Q8OtfUuAjqaYMGmkdU1dCKFtUxVLrg%40mail.gmail.com

> Also, I do not think it is worth to fail on a 0 pqserverversion, just
> keep the number and consider it a very old version?

If pqserverversion fails, then following PQ calls are likely fail
too. What's a benefit to continue after pqserverversion returns 0?

> Question: should there be a word about copy using the freeze option?
> I'd say yes, in the section describing "g".

Can you elaborate about "section describing "g"? I am not sure what
you mean.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii