Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 05:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Bruce,

> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes. You can
> see them here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting. The community doc
> build should happen in a few hours.

Thanks for working on this.

* Add CREATE DATABASE LOCALE option (Fabien COELHO)
* Add function gen_random_uuid to generate version 4 UUIDs (Fabien COELHO)

I'm not responsible for these, I just reviewed them. ISTM that the author
for both is the committer, Peter Eisentraut.

Maybe there is something amiss in the commit-log-to-release-notes script?
My name clearly appears after "reviewed by:?"

* "DOCUMENT THE DEFAULT GENERATION METHOD"
=> The default is still to generate data client-side.

I do not see a "documentation" section, whereas there has been significant
doc changes, such as function table layouts (Tom), glossary (Corey,
Jürgen, Roger, Alvarro), binary/text string functions (Karl) and possibly
others. Having a good documentation contributes to making postgres a very
good tool, improving it is is not very glamorous, ISTM that such
contributions should not be overlooked.

--
Fabien.