Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 14:00:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 07:43:09AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes. You can
> > see them here:
> >
> > https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
> >
> > It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting. The community doc
> > build should happen in a few hours.
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> * Add CREATE DATABASE LOCALE option (Fabien COELHO)
> * Add function gen_random_uuid to generate version 4 UUIDs (Fabien COELHO)
>
> I'm not responsible for these, I just reviewed them. ISTM that the author
> for both is the committer, Peter Eisentraut.
>
> Maybe there is something amiss in the commit-log-to-release-notes script?
> My name clearly appears after "reviewed by:?"

Sorry, those were all my mistaken reading of the commit message.

> * "DOCUMENT THE DEFAULT GENERATION METHOD"
> => The default is still to generate data client-side.

My point is that the docs are not clear about this. Can you fix it?

> I do not see a "documentation" section, whereas there has been significant
> doc changes, such as function table layouts (Tom), glossary (Corey, Jürgen,

I did list the glossary.

> Roger, Alvarro), binary/text string functions (Karl) and possibly others.

I wasn't sure documentation _layout_ changes should be listed.

> Having a good documentation contributes to making postgres a very good tool,
> improving it is is not very glamorous, ISTM that such contributions should
> not be overlooked.

Yes, I would be good to know from others if that kind of stuff should
be included.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +