Re: Add A Glossary

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, Roger Harkavy <rogerharkavy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2020-04-04 06:55:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> BTW it's now visible at:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/glossary.html

Awesome! Linking beetween defs and to relevant sections is great.

BTW, I'm in favor of "an SQL" because I pronounce it "ess-kew-el", but I
guess that people who say "sequel" would prefer "a SQL". Failing that, I'm
fine with some heterogeneity, life is diverse!

ISTM that occurrences of these words elsewhere in the documentation should
link to the glossary definitions?

As the definitions are short and to the point, maybe the HTML display
could (also) "hover" the definitions when the mouse passes over the word,
using the "title" attribute?

"ACID" does not appear as an entry, nor in the acronyms sections. Also no
DCL, although DML & DDL are in acronyms.

Entries could link to relevant wikipedia pages, like the acronyms section
does?

--
Fabien.