Re: Add A Glossary

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, Roger Harkavy <rogerharkavy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2020-04-04 04:04:19
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 16:01 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> BTW it's now visible at:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/glossary.html

Great!

Some comments:

- SQL object: There are more kinds of objects, like roles or full text dictionaries.
Perhaps better:

Anything that is created with a CREATE statement, for example ...
Most objects belong to a database schema, except ...

Or do we consider a replication slot to be an object?

- The glossary has "Primary (server)", but not "Standby (server)".
That should be a synonym for "Replica".

- Server: is that really our definition?
I thought that "server" is what the glossary defines as "instance", and
the thing called "server" in the glossary should really be called "host".

Maybe I am too Unix-centered.

Many people I know use "instance" synonymous to "cluster".

- Role: I understand the motivation behind the definition (except that the word "instance"
is ill chosen), but a role is more than a collection of privileges.
How can a collection of privileges have a password or own an object?
Perhaps, instead of the first sentence:

A database object used for authentication, authorization and ownership.
Both database users and user groups are "roles" in PostgreSQL.

In the second sentence, "roles" is mis-spelled as "roless".

- Null

I think it should say "It represents the absence of *a definite* value."
Usually it is better to think of NULL as "unknown".

- Function

I don't know if "transformation of data" describes it well.
Quite a lot of functions in PostgreSQL have side effects.
How about:

Procedural code stored in the database that can be used in SQL statements.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe