Re: pgbench - add pseudo-random permutation function

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hironobu SUZUKI <hironobu(at)interdb(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - add pseudo-random permutation function
Date: 2020-04-02 06:42:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello David,

>> Attached is an attempt at improving things. I have added a explicit note
>> and hijacked an existing example to better illustrate the purpose of the
>> function.
>
> This patch does not build on Linux due to some unused functions and
> variables: http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_27_1712.log

This link is about some other patch, but indeed there is something amiss
in v18. Attached a v19 which fixes that.

> The CF entry has been updated to Waiting on Author.

I put it back to "needs review".

> A few committers have expressed doubts about whether this patch is needed

Yep.

The key point is that if you (think that you) do not need it, it is
by definition useless.

If you finally figure out that you need it (IMHO you must for any
benchmark with non uniform randoms, otherwise performance result are
biased and thus invalid) and it is not available, then you are just stuck.

> and it doesn't make sense to keep moving it from CF to CF.

You do as you feel. IMO such a feature is useful and consistent with
providing non-uniform random functions.

> I'm planning to mark this patch RwF on April 8 and I suggest you resubmit if
> you are able to get some consensus.

People interested in non-uniform benchmarks would see the point. Why many
people would be happy with uniform benchmarks only while life is not
uniform at all fails me.

--
Fabien.