Re: fe-utils - share query cancellation code

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fe-utils - share query cancellation code
Date: 2019-11-29 07:44:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bonjour Michaël,

> The query cancellation added to pgbench is different than the actual
> refactoring, and it is a result of the refactoring, so I would rather
> split that into two different commits for clarity. The split is easy
> enough, so that's fine not to send two different patches.

Yep, different file set.

> Compilation of the patch fails for me on Windows for psql:
> unresolved external symbol sigint_interrupt_jmp
> Please note that Mr Robot complains as well at build time:
> http://commitfest.cputube.org/fabien-coelho.html
>
> Visibly the problem here is that sigint_interrupt_jmp is declared in
> common.h, but you have moved it to a non-WIN32 section of the code in
> psql/common.c. And actually, note that copy.c and mainloop.c make use
> of it...

Indeed.

> I would not worry much about SIGTERM as you mentioned in the comments,
> query cancellations are associated to SIGINT now. There could be an
> argument possible later to allow passing down a custom signal though.

Ok.

> Attached is an updated patch with a couple of edits I have done,
> including the removal of some noise diffs and the previous edits.

Thanks!

> I am switching the patch as waiting on author, bumping it to next CF at
> the same time. Could you please fix the Windows issue?

I do not have a Windows host, so I can only do blind tests. I just moved
the declaration out of !WIN32 scope in attached v7, which might solve the
resolution error. All other issues pointed out above seem fixed in the v6
you sent.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size