Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2019-07-26 08:19:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Kyotaro-san,

>> Attached a v2 for the always-show-all-results variant. Thanks for the
>> debug!
>
> I have some comments on this patch.
>
> I'm +1 for always output all results without having knobs.

That makes 4 opinions expressed towards this change of behavior, and none
against.

> Documentation (psql-ref.sgml) has another place that needs the
> same amendment.

Indeed.

> Looking the output for -t, -0, -A or something like, we might need
> to introduce result-set separator.

Yep, possibly. I'm not sure this is material for this patch, though.

> # -eH looks broken for me but it would be another issue.

It seems to work for me. Could you be more precise about how it is broken?

> Valid setting of FETCH_COUNT disables this feature. I think it is
> unwanted behavior.

Yes and no: this behavior (bug, really) is pre-existing, FETCH_COUNT does
not work with combined queries:

sh> /usr/bin/psql
psql (12beta2 ...)
fabien=# \set FETCH_COUNT 2
fabien=# SELECT 1234 \; SELECT 5432 ;
fabien=#

same thing with pg 11.4, and probably down to every version of postgres
since the feature was implemented...

I think that fixing this should be a separate bug report and patch. I'll
try to look at it.

Thanks for the feedback. Attached v3 with further documentation updates.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-always-show-results-3.patch text/x-diff 34.5 KB