Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr
Cc: daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2019-07-29 02:59:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, Fabien.

At Fri, 26 Jul 2019 08:19:47 +0000 (GMT), Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote in <alpine(dot)DEB(dot)2(dot)21(dot)1907260738240(dot)13195(at)lancre>

> Hello Kyotaro-san,
>
> >> Attached a v2 for the always-show-all-results variant. Thanks for the
> >> debug!
> >
> > I have some comments on this patch.
> >
> > I'm +1 for always output all results without having knobs.
>
> That makes 4 opinions expressed towards this change of behavior, and
> none against.
>
> > Documentation (psql-ref.sgml) has another place that needs the
> > same amendment.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Looking the output for -t, -0, -A or something like, we might need
> > to introduce result-set separator.
>
> Yep, possibly. I'm not sure this is material for this patch, though.

I'm fine with that.

> > # -eH looks broken for me but it would be another issue.
>
> It seems to work for me. Could you be more precise about how it is
> broken?

It emits bare command string before html result. It's not caused
by this patch.

> > Valid setting of FETCH_COUNT disables this feature. I think it is
> > unwanted behavior.
>
> Yes and no: this behavior (bug, really) is pre-existing, FETCH_COUNT
> does not work with combined queries:
>
> sh> /usr/bin/psql
> psql (12beta2 ...)
> fabien=# \set FETCH_COUNT 2
> fabien=# SELECT 1234 \; SELECT 5432 ;
> fabien=#
>
> same thing with pg 11.4, and probably down to every version of
> postgres
> since the feature was implemented...
>
> I think that fixing this should be a separate bug report and
> patch. I'll try to look at it.

Ah, I didin't notieced that. Thanks for the explanation.

> Thanks for the feedback. Attached v3 with further documentation
> updates.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi