Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT
Date: 2019-03-02 07:01:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello David & Surafel,

> I think this can be marked as ready for committer now, but I'll defer
> to Fabien to see if he's any other comments.

Patch v16 applies and compiles cleanly, local and global "make check"
are ok. Doc build is ok.

I did some manual testing with limit cases which did work. Good.

Although I'm all in favor of checking the int associated to the option, I
do not think that it warrants three checks and messages. I would suggest
to factor them all as just one check and one (terse) message.

Option "--help" line: number of row*s* ?

About the output: I'd suggest to indent one line per row, something like:

INSERT INTO foo VALUES

so as to avoid very very very very very very very very very very very very
very very very very long lines in the output.

I'd suggest to add test tables with (1) no rows and (2) no columns but a
few rows, with multiple --table options.

--
Fabien.