Re: Postgres 11 release notes

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Date: 2018-05-11 16:29:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hello Bruce,

> http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-11.html

> I expect a torrent of feedback. ;-)

Here is some, for things I know about:

>> Add major scripting features to pgbench (Fabien Coelho)

I assume that you are refering to "bc7fa0c1". I do not think that anything
qualifies as "major".

I would rather describe it as "Add support for NULL and boolean, as well
as assorted operators and functions, to pgbench expressions". Or something
in better English.

>> Add \if macro support to pgbench (Fabien Coelho)

I would remove the word "macro", as it is not a pre-compilation feature,
it is just a somehow simple standard conditional.

> On a personal note, I want to apologize for not adequately championing
> two features that I think have strategic significance but didn't make it
> into Postgres 11: parallel FDW access and improved multi-variate
> statistics.

I'm planning to try to help with the later.

--
Fabien.