Re: Compiler warnings with --enable-dtrace

From: David Pacheco <dap(at)joyent(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compiler warnings with --enable-dtrace
Date: 2018-05-11 16:21:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 6:22 AM, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> --enable-dtrace produces compiler warnings about const correctness,
> except on macOS. That's because Apple's dtrace produces function
> declarations in probes.h that take strings as const char * whereas
> AFAIK on all other operating systems they take char * (you can see
> that possibly recent difference in Apple's version of dt_header_decl()
> in dt_program.c). People have complained before[1].
>
> Maybe we should do what the Perl people do[2] and post-process the
> generated header file to add const qualifiers? Please see attached.
>
> I have just added --enable-dtrace to my build farm animal elver so
> these warnings should appear at the next build. I wonder if the
> owners of damselfly, castoroides, protosciurus (CCed) would consider
> adding it for them too so that we could get some coverage of this
> build option on Illumos and Solaris.
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/38D06FCCB225BA1C6699D4E7%
> 40amenophis
> [2] https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/a385812b685b3164e706880a72ee60
> c9cc9573e4/Makefile.SH#L870
>
> --
> Thomas Munro
> http://www.enterprisedb.com

I've updated the damselfly (illumos build farm member) configuration to add
"--enable-dtrace":
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=damselfly&dt=2018-05-11%2015%3A55%3A03

Thanks for the heads up!

-- Dave