Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)
Date: 2017-03-19 20:23:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Tom,

> I'm not entirely convinced that function-per-command is an improvement
> though. [...]

> I don't have a definite opinion on that core question yet, since I've not
> read this version of the patch. Anybody else want to give an opinion?

My 0.02€:

I've already provided my view...

Personnally I like good functions. Maybe a per-command-family set of
functions could improve the code readability, but (1) I'm not sure this is
achieved by this patch (eg the if-related state management is now
dispatched in 4 functions) and (2) I'm not sure that this approach helps
much with respect to trying to factor out backslash-command-related
active-or-not argument management.

However I have not looked at the patch in detail. I'm planing to do so
later this week.

--
Fabien.