Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff
Date: 2016-03-29 20:48:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Indeed. The documentation is manually edited when submitting changes so as
>> to minimize diffs, but then it does not correspond anymore to any actual
>> output, so it is easy to do it wrong.
>
> Well, you fixed the "latency stddev" line to the sample output too, but
> in my trial run that line was not displayed, only the latency average.
> What are the command line args that supposedly produced this output?
> Maybe we should add it as a SGML comment, or even display it to the
> doc's reader.

Good point.

The test above shows the stats if there was -P , -L & --rate, because
under these conditions the necessary data was collected, so they can be
computed. Thus the output in the documentation assumes that one of these
was used. I nearly always use "-P 1".

Note that the documentation is not really precise, "will look similar to",
so there is no commitment.

If you feel like removing the stddev line from the doc because it is not
there with usual options, fine with me.

--
Fabien.