Re: checkpointer continuous flushing

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing
Date: 2016-01-07 12:07:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Yes, I'm planning to try to do the minimum possible damage to the current
>> API to fix the issue.
>
> What's your thought there? Afaics it's infeasible to do the flushing tat
> the fd.c level.

I thought of adding a pointer to the current flush structure at the vfd
level, so that on closing a file with a flush in progress the flush can be
done and the structure properly cleaned up, hence later the checkpointer
would see a clean thing and be able to skip it instead of generating
flushes on a closed file or on a different file...

Maybe I'm missing something, but that is the plan I had in mind.

--
Fabien.