Re: Invalid PSQLState used in connection classes

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Donald Fraser <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>, "[JDBC]" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invalid PSQLState used in connection classes
Date: 2011-03-19 23:47:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> "Donald Fraser" <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> However if I have a broken network between my client and the
>> server, such that there is no route to the server, I can get a
>> ConnectException and I have not established, in any way, a
>> connection to the PostgreSQL server.
>
> 08001 - SQLCLIENT UNABLE TO ESTABLISH SQLCONNECTION
>
> Sounds better for that sort of failure.

Sounds reasonable to me. Looking at the error codes used during startup,
I think we should also make some other changes at the same time.

CONNECTION_UNABLE_TO_CONNECT -> PROTOCOL_VIOLATION
CONNECTION_FAILURE -> PROTOCOL_VIOLATION
when the driver receives an unknown message.

CONNECTION_FAILURE -> CONNECTION_REJECTED
when the server doesn't support SSL, but we need a SSL connection. I
think CONNECTION_FAILURE should only be used when something has gone wrong
after a connection has been established.

Patch attached.

Kris Jurka

Attachment Content-Type Size
connection-sqlstates.patch text/plain 12.7 KB