Re: Does 8.3/8.4 support lazy fetched + updateable +scrollable ResultSets?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does 8.3/8.4 support lazy fetched + updateable +scrollable ResultSets?
Date: 2009-05-18 22:10:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> Is it just the jdbc-driver lacking that functionality, or is backend
> functionality missing too?

You can look at it both ways. Around the 7.4 release we had a patch that
almost worked for scrollable, cursor based resultsets, but it had some
bugs and never got committed. At the time the driver converted queries to
explicit DECLARE CURSOR statements and then the patch made it do MOVE and
FETCH commands to retrieve the desired data. For the 8.0 release the
driver was rewritten to use protocol level commands to create "portals"
which are more or less equivalent to cursors. Unfortunately portals can
only move forward so they aren't scrollable. The JDBC team's position is
that the backend and protocol lack support for scrollable portals and
that's what we're waiting for to implement this feature.

Kris Jurka