Java persistence with enum types

From: Susannah Relf <cyclingrelf(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Java persistence with enum types
Date: 2009-05-23 14:02:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, I have an enum type in my postgres 8.3 database:

CREATE TYPE typeOfNames AS ENUM ('Latin', 'Common', 'Local');

I am trying to access the database through the Java Persistence API using
Netbeans:
@Lob
@Column(name = "typeofname")
private String typeofname;

This works for reading from the database, but writing to it, I get the error
message:
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column "typeofname" is
of type typeofnames but expression is of type character varying

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks