Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

From: "Marshall Spight" <marshall(at)meetstheeye(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-07-30 03:24:13
Lists: pgsql-general

"Curt Sampson" <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> wrote in message news:Pine(dot)NEB(dot)4(dot)44(dot)0207131908540(dot)454-100000(at)angelic(dot)cynic(dot)net(dot)(dot)(dot)

> Well, yeah, but it's really time to kill, properly, this idea that
> postgres is always slower than mysql. I'm reasonably convinced that
> under fairly heavy OLTP loads with some large queries going, MySQL would
> grind to a halt at loads much less than postgres can handle.

We did a bunch of benchmarking at work, using real datasets from
our application, as well as synthetic benchmarks. A very wide
variety of db operations were measured, using postgres, and mysql
with innodb and myisam tables.

Although I am a huge postgres fan, and will not be switching myself,
I have to admit that as far as a race goes, mysql is the clear winner.
In our tests, it was drastically faster than postgres. It really bummed
me out.

Marshall