Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Elaine Lindelef <eel(at)cognitivity(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-07-13 10:11:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Elaine Lindelef wrote:

> Yes, there are points to quibble on, but overall, I thought it was a
> decent article that exposed people to the idea of using PostgreSQL.

Well, yeah, but it's really time to kill, properly, this idea that
postgres is always slower than mysql. I'm reasonably convinced that
under fairly heavy OLTP loads with some large queries going, MySQL would
grind to a halt at loads much less than postgres can handle.

The only area I know of where MySQL is noticably faster is when
dealing with large amounts of data in tables with very short rows;
MySQL has much less row overhead, so of course it's faster. Though
people are working on reducing postgres' row overhead as well,
which will help....

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC