European Group

From: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: European Group
Date: 2007-03-02 13:27:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi guys,

Following the chat we had on IRC a few days ago, I am writing
informally to inquire about the constitution of an European Group of
PostgreSQL users, a network of national PostgreSQL User Groups spread
all over Europe.

One of the main reasons for this is not only to foster the adoption
of free software and - in the specific case - PostgreSQL in the
European Community, but also to help the promotion of the product all
over Europe by reducing costs of production for brochures,
merchandising, gadgets and the like.

While organising the first edition of the Italian PostgreSQL Day,
which day after day is getting the proportion of an European
conference rather than national, we faced a few problems: the lack of
promotional materials in Italian.

One problem of shipping brochures, gadgets, etc. from the US is not
only delivery costs, but charges, taxes, and delays due to custom
checks. In some cases even loss of boxes.

I believe that an organised community of European PUGs (synergy of
local PUGs) together with rational localisation processes could reduce
the costs and guarantee a high level of uniformity around the world,
with better and more efficient outcomes from a promotional point of
view.

Anyway, if you are interested, we could even dedicate some time
regarding this issue during the next PGDay, which will be held in
Prato, Tuscany on July 7 2007.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Regards,
Gabriele