Re: Privileges on PUBLICATION

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Privileges on PUBLICATION
Date: 2022-11-03 15:49:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03.11.22 01:43, Antonin Houska wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> The CF entry is about privileges on publications. Please rebase that patch
>> and repost it so that the CF app and the CF bot are up to date.
>
> The rebased patch (with regression tests added) is attached here.

Some preliminary discussion:

What is the upgrade strategy? I suppose the options are either that
publications have a default acl that makes them publicly accessible,
thus preserving the existing behavior by default, or pg_dump would need
to create additional GRANT statements when upgrading from pre-PG16. I
don't see anything like either of these mentioned in the patch. What is
your plan?

You might be interested in this patch, which relates to yours:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/40/3955/

Looking at your patch, I would also like to find a way to refactor away
the ExecGrant_Publication() function. I'll think about that.

I think you should add some tests under src/test/regress/ for the new
GRANT and REVOKE statements, just to have some basic coverage that it
works. sql/publication.sql would be appropriate, I think.