Re: Cooperation

From: "Luis Ochoa" <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cooperation
Date: 2008-10-29 21:19:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Robert, at least for me, your idea is fine, but let me clarify something,
in your proposal the user is able to see a graphic representation of
database (including tables, views, relationships, etc) with reverse
engineering, and then user can modified this representation and the scripts
that do this task are generated.

I can tell you that a good start point can be the graphical query builder
of pgAdmin (partially finished but the next week I restart their
development), is possible to adapt this part of pgAdmin to accomplish this
task and I can help you if you like.

You can try here the september version (oh I have been a little lazy :( I
must finish this soon):
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2008-postgres/downloads/list

The next question will be for the community, asking what do they think about
this addon for pgAdmin?

But In fact for me, this addon can be useful for a future entity
relationship modeler, if we use the two step generation of database (logic
or conceptual data model that in turn is mapped to a physical model during
physical design ). This addon can be transform later in the physical
designer part of the modeler. Or we can start thinking in the ER modeler and
start the design of this tool with that idea in our goal.

Regards, Luis Ochoa.