Re: Cooperation

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Robert Mitwicki" <mitfik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cooperation
Date: 2008-10-30 09:01:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Robert Mitwicki <mitfik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Robert Mitwicki I am student of University of Science and
> Technology in Cracow (POLAND). I would like to help you....
>
> I want to make some kind of plugin/functionality to pgAdmin - I try
> explain what I try to make....
>
> I want to do views of database like in MS ACCESS (user friendly views
> of database) user can click on object, move tables, make relations,
> edit table, delete, and so on ....
>
> This is kind of user friendly GUI, this is for help user get an eyeful
> databese in normal view not only in rows and columns or some
> treeviews. It can be graphic representation of database.
>
> I want to ask You, there is now something like this what I want to do ?
> If not, maybe there is posibility to make this functionality ?

It sounds like you're proposing to implement the ER diagramming
functionality that has been on our todo list for some time. It would
be able to reverse engineer a schema and present a view of it showing
tables and relations etc, that the user can manipulate as required.
changes to the schema that are made can then be applied to the
database in a batch task.

This obviously provides the user friendly GUI that I think you are
proposing, and with the addition of the ability to save diagram layout
and print etc. the ER diagramming that we want already. I really don't
think a feature such as this is a candidate for a 'plugin' though -
that would be more for simple tools and addons than a major feature.

I'd be happy for you to work on something like this, but I wouldn't
want you to underestimate the size of the task, which I would estimate
to be the most complex single feature in pgAdmin. If I were working on
this, I'd want to set aside probably 4 - 6 months to work full time at
a rough estimate. If you're not familiar with the existing pgAdmin
code or wxWidgets, then there is an additional (steep) learning curve
to factor in.

--
Dave Page