Re: Allow tailoring of ICU locales with custom rules

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow tailoring of ICU locales with custom rules
Date: 2023-02-14 16:53:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2023-02-06 at 22:16 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Right.  Here is a new patch with this fixed.

Thanks. I played some more with it, and still are still some missing
odds and ends:

- There is a new option ICU_RULES to CREATE DATABASE, but it is not
reflected in \h CREATE DATABASE. sql_help_CREATE_DATABASE() needs to
be amended.

- There is no way to show the rules except by querying "pg_collation" or
"pg_database". I think it would be good to show the rules with
\dO+ and \l+.

- If I create a collation "x" with RULES and then create a database
with "ICU_LOCALE x", the rules are not copied over.

I don't know if that is intended or not, but it surprises me.
Should that be a WARNING? Or, since creating a database with a collation
that does not exist in "template0" doesn't make much sense (or does it?),
is there a way to forbid that?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe