Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date: 2024-03-20 19:18:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 03:24:58PM +0100, Wolfgang Walther wrote:
> Bruce Momjian:
> > I guess we could conditionally exec only if we find we must, but then
> > such exec cases would be rare and rarely tested.
>
> I think you might be seriously underestimating how often musl is used.
> Alpine Linux uses musl and is very widespread in the container world because
> of smaller image size.
>
> The library/postgres docker image has been pulled about 8 billion times
> since 2014 [1]. While we can't really tell how many of those pulled the
> alpine variant of the image, comparing the alpine [2] and ubuntu/debian
> [3,4] base images gives a rough estimate of >50% using alpine in general.

Uh, what is the current behavior of Postgres on musl? It just fails if
the process title is longer than argv[0] plus the environment space to
the LD_ environment variable, and then linking fails for certain
extensions? If there are many downloads, why would we only be getting
this report now?

EDB https://enterprisedb.com