Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded

From: Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date: 2024-03-20 14:24:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian:
> I guess we could conditionally exec only if we find we must, but then
> such exec cases would be rare and rarely tested.

I think you might be seriously underestimating how often musl is used.
Alpine Linux uses musl and is very widespread in the container world
because of smaller image size.

The library/postgres docker image has been pulled about 8 billion times
since 2014 [1]. While we can't really tell how many of those pulled the
alpine variant of the image, comparing the alpine [2] and ubuntu/debian
[3,4] base images gives a rough estimate of >50% using alpine in general.

This is certainly not rare.

But yeah, buildfarm coverage for musl would be good, I agree. Maybe even
directly in CI?

Best,

Wolfgang

[1]: https://hub.docker.com/v2/repositories/library/postgres