Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree
Date: 2023-12-21 08:01:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 11:39:15PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Can't we teach the tool that it should not validate src/tools/win32tzlist.pl
> on !windows? It's obviously windows specific code, and it's special case
> enough that there doesn't seem like a need to develop it on !windows.

I am not really excited about keeping a dummy library for the sake of
a script checking if this WIN32-only file is correctly written, and
I've never used pgperlsyncheck, TBH, since it exists in af616ce48347.
Anyway, we could just tweak the list of files returned by
find_perl_files as win32tzlist.pl is valid for perltidy and
perlcritic.

Andrew, was the original target of pgperlsyncheck committers and
hackers who played with the MSVC scripts but could not run sanity
checks on Windows (see [1])? There are a few more cases like the
Unicode scripts or some of the stuff in src/tools/ where that can be
useful still these are not touched on a daily basis. The rest of the
pm files are for TAP tests, one for Unicode. I'm OK to tweak the
script, still, if its main purpose is gone..

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/f3c12e2c-618f-cb6f-082b-a2f604dbe73f@2ndQuadrant.com
--
Michael