Re: Rename backup_label to recovery_control

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: david(at)pgmasters(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rename backup_label to recovery_control
Date: 2023-10-16 04:29:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 01:16:42PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Just an idea in a slightly different direction, but I'm wondering if
> we can simply merge the content of backup_label into control file.
> The file is 8192 bytes long, yet only 256 bytes are used. As a result,
> we anticipate no overhead. Sucha configuration would forcibly prevent
> uses from from removing the backup information.

With the critical assumptions behind PG_CONTROL_MAX_SAFE_SIZE, that
does not sound like a good idea to me. And that's without the fact
that base backup labels could make the control file theoretically even
larger than PG_CONTROL_FILE_SIZE, even if that's unlikely going to
happen in practice.
--
Michael