Re: Allow pg_archivecleanup to remove backup history files

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow pg_archivecleanup to remove backup history files
Date: 2023-04-25 21:39:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 05:29:48PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> I thought that we have decided not to do that, but I coundn't find any
> discussion about it in the ML archive. Anyway, I think it is great
> that we have that option.

No objections from here to make that optional. It's been argued for a
couple of times that leaving the archive history files is good for
debugging, but I can also get why one would one to clean up all the
files older than a WAL retention policy. Even if these are just few
bytes, it can be noisy for the eye to see a large accumulation of
history files mixed with the WAL segments.
--
Michael