Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol
Date: 2023-03-23 09:21:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 09:33:16AM +0100, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> Thanks! LGTM and also do confirm that, with the patch, the JDBC test
> does show the correct results.

How does JDBC test that? Does it have a dependency on
pg_stat_statements?

> That said, not having a test (for the reasons you explained
> up-thread) associated with the patch worry me a bit.

Same impression here.

> But, I'm tempted to say that adding new tests could be addressed
> separately though (as this patch looks pretty straightforward).

Even small patches can have gotchas. I think that this should have
tests in-core rather than just depend on JDBC and hope for the best.
Even if \bind does not allow that, we could use an approach similar to
libpq_pipeline, for example, depending on pg_stat_statements for the
validation with a test module in src/test/modules/?
--
Michael