Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol
Date: 2023-03-23 08:33:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 3/22/23 10:35 PM, Imseih (AWS), Sami wrote:
>> What about using an uint64 for calls? That seems more appropriate to me (even if
>> queryDesc->totaltime->calls will be passed (which is int64), but that's already
>> also the case for the "rows" argument and queryDesc->totaltime->rows_processed)
>
> That's fair
>

>> I'm not sure it's worth mentioning that the new counters are "currently" used with the ExecutorRun.
>
> Sure, I suppose these fields could be used outside of ExecutorRun. Good point.
>

>> Also, I wonder if "rows" (and not rows_processed) would not be a better naming.
>
> Agree.
>
> I went with rows_processed initially, since it was accumulating es_processed,
> but as the previous point, this instrumentation could be used outside of
> ExecutorRun.
>
> v3 addresses the comments.

Thanks! LGTM and also do confirm that, with the patch, the JDBC test does show the correct results.

That said, not having a test (for the reasons you explained up-thread) associated with the patch worry me a bit.

But, I'm tempted to say that adding new tests could be addressed separately though (as this patch looks pretty straightforward).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team