Re: installcheck-world concurrency issues

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: installcheck-world concurrency issues
Date: 2022-10-04 08:05:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 04:41:11PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> There's a few further roles that seem to pose some danger goign forward:

I have never seen that myself, but 0001 is a nice cleanup.
generated.sql includes a user named "regress_user11". Perhaps that's
worth renaming while on it?

> BTW, shouldn't src/test/modules/unsafe_tests use the PG_TEST_EXTRA mechanism
> somehow? Seems not great to run it as part of installcheck-world, if we don't
> want to run it as part of installcheck.c

Indeed.

> A second issue I noticed is that advisory_lock.sql often fails, because the
> pg_locks queries don't restrict to the current database. Patch attached.

As in prepared_xacts.sql or just advisory locks taken in an installed
cluster? Or both?

> I attached the meson patch as well, but just because I used it to to get to
> these patches.

I am still studying a lot of this area, but it seems like all the
spots requiring a custom configuration (aka NO_INSTALLCHECK) are
covered. --setup running is working here with 0003.
--
Michael