Re: index for inet column

From: Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt(at)burggraben(dot)net>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index for inet column
Date: 2022-07-07 22:06:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

## Zhihong Yu (zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com):

> I was able to create gin index on inet column in PG.
>
> GIN is good with points/elements in sets. Is gin a good index for inet
> column ?
> It seems gist index would be better.

Why not use btree? The common operations are quite supported with that.
(Common operations being equality and subnet/CIDR matching, the latter
being a glorified less/greater than operation. If you are using non-
continous netmasks, you are already in a rather painful situation
networkwise and it will not get better in the database, so don't).

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space