Re: BUG #17485: Records missing from Primary Key index when doing REINDEX INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Петър Славов <pet(dot)slavov(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17485: Records missing from Primary Key index when doing REINDEX INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2022-05-30 06:54:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 12:34:13PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I've not been able to reproduce this issue. Even after increasing the number
> of clients and transactions, and running the test a number of times. With
> d9d0762 reverted, the problem doesn't happen anymore for me.

Neither was I able to reproduce this issue after a couple of hours
making my laptop hotter, using either the TAP tests or some equivalent
manual tests, and the revert of d9d0762 helps.

> Any chance you hit this with d9d0762 reverted? It's easy to e.g. revert and
> run the tests without recreating the temp-install, to reduce cycle times.
>
> Was there anything else running on the system? c98763bf51bf also needs to
> reverted, of course.

Yeah, I agree that we'd better revert c98763bf for the time being.
And f9900df on top of that?

I was trying to think of ways to get an isolation test out of that,
but that proves to be sort of tricky as we need to manipulate the HOT
chains after the validation phase has begun with the snapshot from the
build phase. It is easy to block before the validation transaction
starts, like in WaitForLockersMultiple() beforehand, though.
--
Michael