Re: BUG #17485: Records missing from Primary Key index when doing REINDEX INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Петър Славов <pet(dot)slavov(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17485: Records missing from Primary Key index when doing REINDEX INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2022-05-30 19:10:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2022-05-30 15:54:08 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Yeah, I agree that we'd better revert c98763bf for the time being.
> And f9900df on top of that?

Well, f9900df needs to be reverted, because it caused the problem at hand, and
is ontop of c98763bf...

> I was trying to think of ways to get an isolation test out of that,
> but that proves to be sort of tricky as we need to manipulate the HOT
> chains after the validation phase has begun with the snapshot from the
> build phase. It is easy to block before the validation transaction
> starts, like in WaitForLockersMultiple() beforehand, though.

I think it's ok if we have a heuristic test for this kind of thing. It
sometimes can even be good, because it means we'll get different schedulings
over time, hitting "unknown" bugs.

Greetings,

Andres Freund