Re: BUG #17485: Records missing from Primary Key index when doing REINDEX INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Петър Славов <pet(dot)slavov(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17485: Records missing from Primary Key index when doing REINDEX INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2022-05-26 14:40:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 12:39:20PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 11:17:33PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > * Caused by CREATE/REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
>
> Yes.
>
> > * No way to detect which indexes were created concurrently
> > * amcheck will be required to find corrupt indexes (options?)
>
> amcheck would help for btree, not the other AMs. I am not sure but
> there could be other symptoms that may not be detected by amcheck?
>
> > * Heap is fine, only index is corrupt
>
> Yes.
>
> > * Bug since PG 14
>
> 14.0, yes.
>
> > * Not known why reports are only appearing now
> > * Feature will likely need to be removed rather than fixed
>
> Trends go in this direction. It does not seem like there is a
> complete conclusion on this point, either.

Uh, if people don't know if they have used CREATE/REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
in PG 14.0+, they are going to need to run amcheck on all btree indexes
and reindex all non-btree indexes? That is going to be a painful
message to deliver, and hear. :-(

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson