Re: Supply restore_command to pg_rewind via CLI argument

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Alexey Kondratov <kondratov(dot)aleksey(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supply restore_command to pg_rewind via CLI argument
Date: 2022-04-07 05:53:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 01:55:43PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 14 Sep 2021, at 16:05, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru> wrote:
>>> Do we actually need --target-restore-command at all? It seems to me
>>> that we have all we need with --restore-target-wal, and that's not
>>> really instinctive to pass down a command via another command..
>>
>> Currently we know that --restore-target-wal is not enough if postgresql.conf does not reside within PGDATA.
>
> That's a useful reason which wasn't brought up in the earlier thread, and may
> tip the scales in favor.

It does now, as of 0d5c3875. FWIW, I am not much a fan of the design
where we pass down a command line as an option value of a different
command line (more games with quoting comes into mind first), and
--config-file should give enough room for the case of this thread. I
have switched the status of the patch to reflect that.
--
Michael