Re: PATCH: add "--config-file=" option to pg_rewind

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth" <gunnar(dot)bluth(at)pro-open(dot)de>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Alexander Kukushkin <cyberdemn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru, kondratovaleksey(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: PATCH: add "--config-file=" option to pg_rewind
Date: 2022-02-27 12:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 09:55:20AM +0100, Gunnar "Nick" Bluth wrote:
> Am 26.02.22 um 06:51 schrieb Michael Paquier:
>> Shouldn't this one use appendShellString() on config_file?
>
> It probably should, yes. I don't fancy this repetitive code myself.
> But then, pg_rewind as a whole could use an overhaul. I don't see any use of
> PQExpBuffer in it, but a lot of char* ...

Having a lot of char* does not necessarily mean that all of them have
to be changed to accomodate with PQExpBuffer. My guess that this is a
case-by-case, where we should apply that in places where it makes the
code cleaner to follow. In the case of your patch though, the two
areas changed would make the logic correct, instead, because we have
to apply correct quoting rules to any commands executed.

> GSOC project? ;-)

It does not seem so, though there are surely more areas that could
gain in clarity.
--
Michael