Re: make tuplestore helper function

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make tuplestore helper function
Date: 2022-02-16 05:43:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:19:33AM -0500, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 7:57 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'd leave it for input from a committer about those:
>>
>> - remove tuplestore_donestoring() calls ?

This part has been raised on a different thread, as of:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAP0=ZVJeeYfAeRfmzqAF2Lumdiv4S4FewyBnZd4DPTrsSQKJKw@mail.gmail.com

And it looks sensible from here to just remove any traces of this
stuff from the C code, while leaving the compatibility macro around
to avoid any breakages with any external modules.

>> - split expectedDesc NULL check to an 0001 patch ?

I am not sure that this is worth a split, as the same areas are
touched.

>> - anything other opened questions ?
>>
>> I'm marking this as RFC, with the caveat that the newline before
>> MakeFuncResultTuplestore went missing again :)
>
> oops. I've attached v6 with the newline.

Saying that, the wrapper you are proposing here looks like a good
idea. I have wanted a centralized wrapper more than once, and this is
a nice cut overall.
--
Michael