Re: Add jsonlog log_destination for JSON server logs

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "david(at)fetter(dot)org" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add jsonlog log_destination for JSON server logs
Date: 2022-01-12 06:27:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 08:34:26PM +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> I've been looking at the latest patch set intermittently and playing
> around with jsonlog a little. It seems to work well, and I don't have
> any significant comments about the code. 0001 and 0002 seem
> straightforward and uncontroversial.

Thanks. I have looked again at 0001 and 0002 today and applied both,
so it means that we are done with all the refactoring pieces proposed
up to now.

> IIUC 0003 simply introduces jsonlog using the existing framework.

This part will have to wait a bit more, but yes, this piece should be
straight-forward.

> I wonder if we should consider tracking each log destination as a set
> of function pointers. The main logging code would just loop through
> the enabled log destinations and use these functions, and it otherwise
> would be completely detached (i.e., no "if jsonlog" blocks). This
> might open up the ability to define custom log destinations via
> modules, too. However, I don't know if there's any real demand for
> something like this, and it should probably be done separately from
> introducing jsonlog, anyway.

I am not sure that this is worth the complications, either.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v10-0001-JSON-logging.patch text/x-diff 33.8 KB