Re: Improve error handling of HMAC computations and SCRAM

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Sergey Shinderuk <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve error handling of HMAC computations and SCRAM
Date: 2022-01-11 07:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:50:50AM +0300, Sergey Shinderuk wrote:
> A few comments after a quick glance...

Thanks!

> + * Returns a static string providing errors about an error that happened
>
> "errors about an error" looks odd.

Sure, that could be reworded. What about "providing details about an
error"?

> We already have SSLerrmessage elsewhere and it's documented to never return
> NULL. I find that confusing.

This name is chosen on purpose. There could be some refactoring done
with those things.

> If I have two distinct pg_hmac_ctx's, are their errreason's idependent from
> one another or do they really point to the same static buffer?

Each errreason could be different, as each computation could fail for
a different reason. If they fail for the same reason, they would
point to the same error context strings.
--
Michael