Re: Windows crash / abort handling

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Windows crash / abort handling
Date: 2022-01-11 07:51:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-01-10 10:57:00 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 10/5/21 15:30, Andres Freund wrote
> > The above ends up dumping all crashes into a single file, but that can
> > probably be improved. But cdb is so gnarly that I wanted to stop looking once
> > I got this far...

FWIW, I figured out how to put the dumps into separate files by now...

> > Andrew, I wonder if something like this could make sense for windows BF animals?

> Very possibly. I wonder how well it will work on machines where I have
> more than one animal .e.g. lorikeet (cygwin) jacana (msys) and bowerbird
> (MSVC) are all on the same machine. Likewise drongo (MSVC) and fairywren
> (msys2).

Hm. I can see a few ways to deal with it. Are they running concurrently?
If not then it's easy enough to deal with.

It'd be a bit of a fight with cdb's awfully documented and quirky
scripting [1], but the best solution would probably be to just use an
environment variable from the target process to determine the dump
location. Then each buildfarm config could set a BF_BACKTRACE_LOCATION
variable or such...

[1] So there's !envvar. But that yields a string like
BF_BACKTRACE_LOCATION = value of environment variable when set to an
alias. And I haven't found an easy way to get rid of the "variablename
= ". There is .foreach /pS [2] which could be used to skip over the
varname =, but that then splits on all whitespaces. Gah.

[2] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/-foreach

Greetings,

Andres Freund