Re: enabling FOO=bar arguments to vcregress.pl

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enabling FOO=bar arguments to vcregress.pl
Date: 2021-11-02 01:23:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 11:33:21AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> As I mentioned recently at
> <https://postgr.es/m/5d72f199-dc11-89a8-29d1-f20f9687c86f@dunslane.net>,
> I want to get USE_MODULE_DB working for vcregress.pl. I started out
> writing code to strip this from the command line or get it from the
> environment, but then it struck me that if would be better to implement
> a general Makefile-like mechanism for handling FOO=bar type arguments on
> the command line, along the lines of the attached.

I am not sure to understand how that will that work with USE_MODULE_DB
which sets up the database names used by the regression tests. Each
target's module has its own needs in terms of settings that can be
used, meaning that you would still need some boilerplate to do the
mapping between a variable and its command argument?
--
Michael