Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Date: 2021-09-07 05:28:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 09:23:27PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 01:23:56PM +0530, Nitin Jadhav wrote:
> > Please find the updated patch attached.
>
> Please check CA+TgmoZtbqxaOLdpNkBcDbz=41tWALA8kpH4M=RWtPYHC7-KNg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
>
> I agree with Robert that a standby server should not continuously show timing
> messages for WAL replay.

Clearly. This should be limited to crash recovery, and maybe there
could be some checks to make sure that nothing is logged once a
consistent point is reached. Honestly, I don't see why we should have
a GUC for what's proposed here. A value too low would bloat the logs
with entries that are not that meaningful. A value too large would
just prevent access to some information wanted. Wouldn't it be better
to just pick up a value like 10s or 20s?

Looking at v13..

+ {"log_startup_progress_interval", PGC_SIGHUP, LOGGING_WHEN,
+ gettext_noop("Sets the time interval between each progress update "
+ "of the startup process."),
+ gettext_noop("0 logs all messages. -1 turns this feature off."),
+ GUC_UNIT_MS,
The unit is incorrect here, as that would default to 10ms, contrary to
what the documentation says about 10s.
--
Michael